AquaRend waterproof mortar for use as render or screed.
Manorteq AquaRend Thix
Designed specifically for waterproofing and resurfacing concrete and masonry structures, as a thicker layer.
Manorteq AquaRend Thix is a single-component, dry mortar mix designed specifically for waterproofing, patching and resurfacing of deteriorated concrete and masonry structures.
Manorteq AquaRend Thix is the most versatile product within the range and can be used as either a render or a screed. The product can hold its own weight making it suitable for vertical applications possible. It can also be used on a horizontal surface as a screed. Manorteq AquaRend Flow should be considered where a flowable version is required (see Manorteq AquaRend Flow).
Manorteq AquaRend Thix can be used on its own to waterproof and repair a substrate, or in combination with a secondary layer. Depending on the finish required, either Manorteq AquaRend Fine or Manorteq AquaRend S-Fine can be used as both are compatible with Manorteq AquaRend Thix.
Comprising of an aggregate size of up to 4 mm, Manorteq AquaRend Thix must be applied between 10 mm – 30 mm thickness.
Manorteq AquaRend Thix can provide a waterproof layer, which is tested regularly in accordance with the standard EN 12390-8 up to 50 metres hydrostatic head (limit of test).
If required, paints or other coatings can be directly applied onto the Manorteq AquaRend repaired area. Any coating applied must be breathable. For further guidance please contact your local Manorteq technical representative.
Note: Manorteq Ltd makes no representations or warranties regarding the compatibility of Manorteq products with other surface applied materials. It is the responsibility of the installer of these surface-applied materials to take whatever measures are necessary, including trials and testing under project conditions, to determine the suitability and compatibility of the coating being placed upon the Manorteq product.
Manorteq AquaRend Thix is classified as an R3 mortar with a low modulus of elasticity, in accordance with EN 1504-3.
Product Certified under European Norms:
EN 1504-3 – Products and systems for the protection and repair of concrete structures. Structural and non-structural repair.
EN 14891 – Liquid applied water impermeable products for use beneath ceramic tiling bonded with adhesives.
Manorteq AquaRend Thix is the most versatile product within the range and can be used as either a render or a screed. The product can hold its own weight, making vertical applications possible. It can also be used on a horizontal surface as a screed, though Manorteq AquaRend Flow is sometimes more suitable where a flowable version is required. (See Manorteq AquaRend Flow).
Manorteq AquaRend Thix can be used on its own to waterproof and repair a substrate. Alternatively, it can be used in combination with another product within the Manorteq AquaRend range. (Such as Manorteq AquaRend Fine or Manorteq S-Fine if a smoother finish is required.)
Where enhanced bond is required, or where water ingress is from the negative side, either Manorteq AquaRend Fix-S or Manorteq AquaRend Fix-B should be considered.
Manorteq AquaRend Thix is classified as an R3 mortar with a low modulus of elasticity in accordance with EN 1504-3.
All Manorteq AquaRend waterproof mortars are in accordance with EN 1504-3 and are classified as R3 mortar.
* Whilst a perfect application at these thicknesses will provide a waterproof layer, there is however a higher probability of imperfections in the application which would compromise the integrity of the waterproofing.
** Waterproof subject to correct application. All Manorteq products should be applied in strict accordance with the installation procedures.
- Remove all damaged, loose and weather-worn concrete. Any dust and loose particles shall be removed from the substrate before application. The concrete surface must not be contaminated by substances which can negatively affect the adhesion of the mortar to the substrate (e.g. oil or other products).
- Corroded reinforcement should be repaired where necessary, to the satisfaction of the resident engineer.
- Before the application of Manorteq AquaRend Thix, the substrate must be wetted so that the surface is damp, but not holding water on the surface. Rinsing with pressurised clean water before application is recommended to remove any dust from the application surface.
- Manorteq AquaRend Thix is prepared by mixing with clean water. It is necessary to use a low-speed mixer with forced circulation.
- Recommended mixing ratio is 3.50 – 3.75 litres of clean water per 1 No. (25 kg) bag of product.
- The recommended batch of water can be adjusted slightly to reach optimum workability. If the added water exceeds the recommended quantity by 10% or more, risk of cracking is significantly enhanced. It can also compromise the performance of the mechanical properties of the product.
- Working time of the product is typically 50 – 60 minutes at 20 °C.
- Neither the temperature of the substrate, nor the temperature of the ambient air, shall be below +5 °C or above +30 °C.
- Manorteq AquaRend Thix can be applied either mechanically (by dry or wet spraying) or manually. Layers must not exceed 30 mm thickness.
- The first layer must be applied ensuring that no voids are created (e.g. behind reinforcement). After the initial application it is recommended to spread the mortar into pores and uneven spaces. This can be best achieved with a flat paint brush (with short hair), or a toothed trowel.
- Proper adhesion of the material to the substrate in the application stage is of fundamental importance.
- With localised areas it is necessary to pay detailed attention to the edges of areas previously repaired. It is imperative to ensure product is sufficiently compacted, eliminating any entrapped air pockets or other irregularities.
- The repair should always commence from the deepest part of the defective area, layering the product up in such a way that when the final layer is applied, it is a continuous, homogenous layer over the entire area being repaired
- After initial set of the last layer, a dry polyurethane finisher is used for the smoothing of the surface.
- Wet surface finishing is not allowed. If a finer finish is required use Manorteq AquaRend Fine or Manorteq AquaRend S-Fine.
- Attention should be taken to avoid direct exposure to the sun, wind and other factors which accelerate evaporation and have a detrimental effect. Proper curing must be undertaken to prevent early drying, and the subsequent issues associated. Curing agents can be used to aid this process. Repaired surfaces must be properly cured immediately after completion.